Lothar Scholz <llothar / mailandnews.de> wrote:
>On Wed, 30 May 2001 07:44:58 +0900, Glen Starchman
><glen / enabledventures.com> wrote:
[...]
>I think the currently nobody should think about starting an open souce
>company, because nearly all attempts to do so failed. Only some big
>companies are still alive but only because they have some very big
>customers which you can't reach with a) ruby b) a small startup c)
>without reputation.

I think you are mistaken.

Facts.

Most attempts to found companies fail.  Badly.

The dotcom disaster was predictable and widely predicted a
long time ago.

Off of the top of my head, the following small companies are
based on open source and as far as I know are doing just fine:
Loki, Crynwr, Sleepycat, Stonehenge, Ars Digita, Scyld,
Aladdin...

In fact I do not at this point have a strong opinion on
whether it is better for a software company to aim or not
aim for an open source business model of some kind.  But I
think that it would be foolish for a small software company
to not investigate how it can use open-source technologies
to cut costs.  I further think that competing head on with
open source solutions is something to think twice about...

Cheers,
Ben