Hi,

Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> Hi
>
> Since I have a few ruby-scripts that could really use some speedup, I
> wanted to try running them with yarv / rite.
>
> I found http://www.atdot.net/yarv/, got the code, and compiled (the
> "rite-version", not the "extension-version"). First, it gave me
> a linker error (didn't find some pthread symbols), but a configure
> with "--enable-pthread" fixed that.

If your plathome is not Windows, "--enable-pthread" is needed for
current HEAD version.

> I got a miniruby-executable now, but it seems to be fairly buggy /
> incomplete (It doesn't survive a make install). Did I mess up the
> compilation somehow, or is rite still at a very early stage of development?
 >
> Whats the preferred method of testing rite / yarv at the moment? Should
> one use the C-Extension, or the rite-version?

Current YARV supports almost ruby syntax, but not complete.  You can see
what ruby features are supported on yarvtest/ directory (which includes
some test cases for yarv, and you can run this tests with "make
yarv-test-all").

Current YARV also can't build C extensions because YARV unable to run
"mkmf.rb" because of unsupported syntax "foo{|*args|}".  I'll implement
it soon.

> greetings, Florian Pflug
>
> PS: This isn't meant as a complaint of any sort - I realize that
> building a VM for ruby is a hard task, and I'm incredibly thankfull
> to the people who spend their time on this.

Regards,
--
SASADA Koichi at atdot dot net