Bryan Zarnett wrote:

> One of the best "marketing" things that Java did was there standard and
> enterprise edition bundles. Maybe this is something we should do with
> ruby as well.  The core idea would be that we would not have to compile
> all those important libraries over and over again.
> I was thinking the following bundles:
>
> 1. Standard Edition -- Just ruby and the core Libraries (and ruby unit)
> 2. Advanced Edition -- includes XML, XSL
> 3. Enterprise Edition -- includes the LDAP,DBD:DBI,  mod_ruby, eRuby
> Considering the libraries are in such flux, it would not be expected to
> make a new release with each library but for the first while we might do
> a new release every three or six months.
> Any thoughts? Any volunteers?

I doubt the community at large would do this. But it sounds like a
great idea for an open-source ruby company :-)
"RedGem"? "RubyCare"? "VARuby"? "ActiveRuby"?

Actually, while I wouldn't actually use those names, I am in favor
of the idea of a company having a model akin to the ones inferred.

Guy N. Hurst

--
HurstLinks Web Development    http://www.hurstlinks.com/
Norfolk, VA  23510            (757)623-9688 FAX 623-0433