At 6:58 PM +0900 10/5/05, Dave Howell wrote:
>... any app that tried to get me to use some generic GUI instead
>of using Aqua is an app I wouldn't use. ...

Well, actually, you use non-Aqua GUIs all the time.  Every web site
offers an unknown combination of HTML, image maps, AJAX, etc.  That
said, I agree that having consistent look and feel on the desktop is
very useful.

You may be interested to know about

  RubyCocoa - A Ruby/Objective-C Bridge for Mac OS X with Cocoa
  http://rubycocoa.sourceforge.net/doc

RubyCocoa seems to be an active project, so I presume that it actually
lets Ruby coders produce Cocoa apps, using the Interface Builder, etc.
My experience with CamelBones (which does the same sort of thing for
Perl) leads me to suspect that the experience is not seamless:

   *  Objective-C has its own naming conventions and method invocation
      syntax, which are quite different from those used by Ruby, Python,
      etc.  In CamelBones, this means that the programmer has to look up
      methods by "translated" names, etc.

   *  Apple hasn't shown any great interest in supporting any languages
      other than Objective-C for Cocoa programming.  They wave a hand in
      the direction of Java, from time to time, but ObjC is definitely
      the "blessed" language.

   *  CamelBones ran into problems when the version of Perl changed.  I
      don't know if RubyCocoa has similar "robustness" issues.

I would be happy to hear comments from any RubyCocoa users, as I've been
considering trying it out at some point...

-r
--
email: rdm / cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com        - Canta Forda Computer Laboratory