Ryan Leavengood wrote:

> I agree. I was a pretty rabid anti-Microsoft person back in the
> Windows 95/98 days. The reason? Those operating systems were very
> unstable and crashed a lot and generally caused headaches. But since
> Windows 2000 and XP I haven't had too much to complain about.

To each his own. On my desktop I have *never* had to reinstall Windows
ME (and my computer is 4 years old). It does crash, and it's annoying,
but I've always been able to solve the problems, quickly.

I cannot say that for Windows XP. Whether it is XP Pro that I have to
use at work or computers from friends, it always has problems, and even
when you log in as administrator it seems to think it knows better than
you what you want to do (this behaviour annoys me immensely! *I* am the
user, *I* decide what I do, not the damn OS!).

If anything, XP has made me even more anti-Microsoft than I was before,
but anyway my position has more to do with their shady business
practices and their constant attacks on freedoms than the technical
state of their desktop.

Anyway, since I installed Debian on my computer, I've only ever booted
Windows to upgrade things like Opera, because my partner still uses
Windows and I don't want him to suffer because I don't use it myself.

> My next purchase will probably be a Windows laptop that is compatible
> with Linux, so I can set up a dual boot system (though I imagine I'd
> spend most of my time in Linux.)

Yeah, Linux can be addictive like that ;) .

  If I could just buy OS X and install
> it I would; but that won't be happening for a while, if ever.

I've never cared for Apple myself. I've used some Apple computers, but I
don't see the big deal :) . And I don't have the money anyway.

And when this computer finally expires, my next one will be a white box
on which I'll install Debian and nothing else. No MS tax for me, thank
you very much (especially since I have better uses for my money than buy
the high end hardware necessary to run Vista).

Well, enough ranting, back to Ruby ;) .
--
Christophe Grandsire.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr