--- Isaac Gouy <igouy / yahoo.com> wrote:

> Eric Mahurin wrote:
> -snip-
> > Compare that to ruby - from about 0.25% to 10% of C
> (language
> > shootout).
>
> Which language shootout?
>
> On these Ruby can be 100x slower than C (and is never shown
> faster than
> C).

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=ruby&lang2=icc&sort=fullcpu

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/old/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=ruby&lang2=icc&sort=fullcpu

That's the one I'm talking about.  I said the speed of ruby was
0.25% to 10% of C.  That means 10X to 400X slower.  Compare
that to "self" which is no more than about 5X slower.

I wouldn't mind seeing "self" in your benchmarks too using the
self virtual machine.  This would be the only dynamically typed
language that is even in the same magnitude of performance as
C.

http://mail.yahoo.com