Hello Ruby-talk,

I have been watching this list for a few weeks now, I have bought and read
the pickaxe book (nice Work Dave and Andrew), I have been playing with Ruby,
and am very impressed with this elegant, succinct and capable language.

I have one problem - MySQL support.

My system:
  I have Red Hat Linux 7.1.
  I have MySQL Ver 11.15, Distrib 3.23.37 installed and running.
  I have Ruby 1.6.3 compiled in:
      ~/ruby-1.6.3
  Ruby is installed (make install), and working.

The problem:
  I downloaded mysql-ruby-2.3.2a.gz.
  I extracted the tar file contents into:
      ~/ruby-1.6.3/ext/mysql
  I modified the extconf.rb file to point at /usr/local/mysql
  I tried to make, but it failed because of '#include <mysql/mysql.h>'
  I removed the directory 'mysql/' and now it compiles fine.
  I then ran:
      ruby -I. ./test.rb host user pw
  (with appropriate values inserted), and I got this error:

      ./test.rb:11:in 'require': ./mysql.so: undefined symbol: uncompress -
./mysql.so (LoadError) from ./test.rb:11

Could someone please point out my mistake?

Thank you.
Paul.