The Pragmatic RoR book explains in detail how to do this.  It mostly just
involves passing in your DB config to ActiveRecord instead of having it in
the RoR ./config dir.

Someone please correct me if I've misspoken as I have not yet attempted
actually doing this.

The book's not in front of me right now, I'll try and paste an example later
after I check it out.

'njoy,
Mark