On Monday 03 October 2005 02:20 am, Joshua Haberman wrote:
> 1. t's not clear to me that gems in my-install-dir will function > properly if my-install-dir is read-only after the installation.

Yes, absolutely.  My gem installation directory is read-only except during the
install process.

> 2. t's not clear to me whether I can copy my-install-dir to another > machine, point my GEM_PATH there, and have everything "just > work" Jim gave me a suggestion for achieving this, but it involved > basically circumventing the "gem" command, implying that this isn't a > supported use case using the standard software).

For libraries that should be sufficient.  For gems that contain executable
programs, you would need to deal with that.  When gems starts supporting a
separate data directory, you need to deal with that as well.  If gems ever
starts allowing post-install scripts, then all bets are off.