> The typical Ruby idiom for this is:
>
> File.foreach(filename) do |line|
>     line.chomp!
>
>     # ... processing code goes here ...
> end

I didn't ry it to be honest, the real problem was that the data (when
exported by another tool), has (\n) line endings at arbitrary places (ie
3 in a typical 'line' of data).  So I really wanted to strip them out
before resplitting on the real line delimiter ';'.  I actually worked it
out, I was trying filename.to_s.gsub!(/\n/, ''), but although ruby won't
complain about this, it won't operate on it, if instead I spli on my
delimiter ';' and then do a line.gsub!(/\n/,'') everything works fine

Thanks for the help

Is the idiom above more for processing multiple files (for each file,
for each line do some processing close) kind of thing?

Kev