On 10/2/05, Devin Mullins <twifkak / comcast.net> wrote:
> >What would happen when you uninstall the program if packaged as you mention?
> >You can't remove the gems, and you can't really leave them there either...
> >

> `gem uninstall thegems`

What if other stuff rely on those gems?  Like user-written code?

This stuff is tricky to get right, even more tricky than the single
package manager situation.

> (Yeah, there are probably things you can do with the debian pkg manager
> that you can't with gems, and I think it's worth fixing that.)
>
> I guess my concern with repackaging is that it introduces duplication.

In what way are you thinking of?

I think not repackaging introduce duplication, in the form of
duplicated package managers handling the same machine, and thus
duplicated interfaces the user needs to know.

Having native packages avoid duplication as long as you use only
native packages; using both is of course a problem, and really
ideally, they'd be able to hook together nicely - unfortunately, I'm
uncertain if that is doable in practice (for combined technical and
social reasons.)

Eivind.