On Oct 2, 2005, at 9:10 AM, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On 10/2/05, Devin Mullins <twifkak / comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Joshua Haberman wrote:
>>

>>> Say that you had two implementations of gems with identical feature
>>> sets, but one used the "gem" command to do everything and one let
>>> you
>>> use .gem files directly.  I would *much* prefer using the latter.
>>>

>> Actually, it doesn't sound like they're mutually exclusive. Stick a
>> little flag in the metadata.gz that says "I don't have a compile
>> step!"
>> and then it can be stuck on the $LOAD_PATH directly. Otherwise, upon
>> require-ing something from inside the gem, you'll get an error
>> "Install
>> meeee!!"
>>

>>> Yes, I don't know the details of the current controversy (ie. why
>>> Debian is having a problem packaging gems)
>>>

>> Neither do I. Are they trying to repackage gems as... err..
>> whatever the
>> apt-get file extension is? If so, why?
>>

> They're trying to repackage software that the author assume to be
> Gem-distributed as Debian packages (.deb, IIRC).  The reason for this
> is simple: To provide Ruby software on Debian for Debian users in the
> way Debian users are used to.  These users do not particularly care
> about Ruby, and definately do not want to have to know one packaging
> system for handling Ruby software, and another for handling Perl, and
> another for handling Java, and another for handling Haskell, and
> another for handling Python, and another way for handling C code, and
>
> Instead, they want they software to Just Work Like All Other Software,
> the way they are used to, and to not have to care about the language
> the software is written in at all.

May I request that we talk about technical issues like grown-up
engineers, not like guests on "Jerry Springer?"

Tell me if this is an accurate list of the problems packaging gems:

1. Gems provide more guarantees than Debian packages can

2. Gems let you install more than one version of the same software,
but Debian packages don't

3. something about Debian wanting software to be in a single directory?

I've tried to bring myself up to speed on these issues by reading
recent threads, but it's very difficult to separate the technical
information from the arguing.

Josh