On 02/10/05, Corey Lawson <corey.ssf.lawson / gmail.com> wrote:
> It sounds like a debian user problem, not a Ruby user problem. I think most
> Ruby people (who probably are not running ruby on Debian) want Ruby to work
> like...Ruby, whether it's on a Mac, Windows, RedHat, Debian, Slolaris,
> whatever. Has a similar beef been made about Java on Debian? (Why must Java
> apps be deployed as .jar, .ear, war, whatever. Can't they pick just one and
> make it work with apt-get?).

If it is a debian user problem that is sad, but I have to say that I
try to avoid any libraries that are not packed as a deb. I do not have
gems installed because the duality of the gem and the debian system is
annoying me.

This may be just an anecdote, but a lot of libraries are loosing at
least me as a user. I have packaged deb's myself and I don't think it
is a very complicated process, so I wonder why it is difficult to go
from .gem to .deb?

brian

--
http://ruby.brian-schroeder.de/