On Sep 29, 2005, at 9:21 PM, kraf001 wrote:
> well as we all know the File class in ruby has the method link which
> creates a hard link between files. I want to create hard links between
> directories. so a link to directory would have the same content and
> any
> change to its content will effect the other linked directories... I
> tries
> using FileUtils class but it didn't work!.. any ideas?

Use a symbolic link instead.

Hard links for directories are not supported by any Unix/Linux/Posix
file
system that I'm aware of.  The main problem is that it allows cycles to
be created in the file system directory structure and that confuses the
hell out of most people and tools.

I don't know but I suspect that the same restriction applies to various
Windows and MacOS file systems.

Gary Wright