Lothar Scholz wrote:

> Hello James,
>
> JEGI> On Sep 26, 2005, at 11:46 AM, Dave Thomas wrote:
>
>>> Caleb Tennis has just finished a short book on the QtRuby library,
>>> which integrates the cross-platform Qt3 library into Ruby. It
>>> discusses how to create cross-platform GUI applications for Linux
>>> and OS X in Ruby.
>
> JEGI> This is interesting.
>
> JEGI> Is QtRuby used natively on Mac OS X, or through an X-Windows server?
>
> Qt is half native on MacOSX, it uses Quartz to draw controls it and
> carbon/cocoa for the toplevel window. Unfortunately MacOSX was a QT
> addon, so it is not good integrated into the programming model.
>
> Does anybody know if 4.0 now support Drawers, Sheets, the round help
> button, HIToolbarView and pulsing default buttons ? Is it possible to
> embedd Cocoa/Carbon widgets like the webbrowser inside QT ?
From the platform specific notes and the 'Qt/Mac is Mac OS X Native' in the
Qt4 docs:

"Qt/Mac has support for sheets, drawers. Represented by Qt::Sheet and
Qt::Drawer in the window flags respectiviely. Brushed metal windows are
also possible using Qt::WA_MacMetalStyle window attribute."

Normally when referring to a native Mac application, one really means an
application that talks directly to the underlying window system, rather
than one that uses some intermediary (for example Apple's X11 server, or a
web browser). Qt/Mac applications run as first class citizens, just like
Cocoa, and Carbon applications. In fact, we use Carbon and HIView
internally to communicate with OS X.

Aqua look

As with Cocoa/Carbon, Qt/Mac provides widgets that look like those described
in the Human Interface Descriptions. Qt/Mac's widgets use Appearance
Manager on Mac OS X 10.2 and the new HIThemes on Mac OS X 10.3 and higher
to implement the look, in other words we use Apple's own API's for doing
the rendering."

I haven't found anything about pulsing buttons or the round help button.

> It's a pitty that we don't have any GUI toolkit that was from the
> beginning designed to work on the three main platforms.
I don't think you can emded Cocoa widgets in Qt apps, but that seems to be
outside the scope of a cross platform framework to me anyway. I don't know
of any toolkit that does a better job at running on the three platforms.

-- Richard