James Edward Gray II <james / grayproductions.net> writes:

> On Sep 28, 2005, at 1:46 PM, Elf M. Sternberg wrote:

> Welcome to Ruby.  Hopefully it will stop baffling you very soon now.  ;)

        Thank you. One can only hope.

> > The first is from
> > http://redhanded.hobix.com/bits/hyperextended.html, and my question is
> > about the 'extend' keyword there.  Where does that came from?  In what
> > object is it defined?

> It is defined in Object.

        I guess I'm just surprised by the implicit reference.  In Python
(and Perl, to an even greater if more obscure degree) extensions like
that are quite explicit.  It is not immediately obvious to me that
'extend' is a part of Object.

        It's all a matter of familiarity.  I wouldn't be surprised to
see something more like self.extend(...), but the 'extend ...' just
seems rather unattached.

        For what it's worth, this is making some *very* cobwebbed
portions of my brain think, "Y'know, this looks like ObjC (circa 1996,
via Webobjects) on drugs."

> > I'm guessing that the "%r" and "%w" are the ruby equivalents of perl's
> > qr{} and qw{} constructs
>
> Bingo.

        That part's easy enough.  Thanks!

                Elf