Reserved numbered courses: Certain blocks of numbers that have been
assigned for specific courses that may be taken for more than one
term. The credits being granted vary according to the amount of work
done.

100-110 and 200-210: Survey or foundation courses in the liberal arts
and sciences
401/501/601: Research and Scholarship
402/502/602: Independent Study
403/503/603: Thesis/Dissertation
404/504/604: Writing and Conference
405/505/605: Reading and Conference
406/506/606: Special Problems/Special Projects
407/507/607: Seminar
408/508/608: Workshop
409/509/609: Practicum/Clinical Experience
410/510/610: Internship/Work Experience

Not sure how accurately htis applies to other schools but here's what I came by:
http://catalog.oregonstate.edu/ChapterDetail.aspx?key=324