Glen Starchman <glen / enabledventures.com> wrote:

>[assumption how java's regex is implemented]

>For example:
>
>class RubyString extends String implements RubyRegex ...

Don't think so as it's not possible to extend class String in Java ;-)
The pattern matcher class (called java.util.regex.Pattern) is actually
an Object subclass and is created using factory methods from
java.util.regex.Matcher.  I recommend to check out the source (I
haven't), a 150 KB file.

>Unless we would be seeking 100% Java certification, there is nothing
>stopping us from using JNI and creating native regex libraries for each
>supported platform. It's very, very ugly, but certainly could be done.

Sure, it could be done.  But my dream would be an easy-to-deploy
single jar distribution which could be droped on any platform we
like...

>Nor is there anything stopping us from a virtual translation of the
>Ruby source tree (except for the YACC ickyness) into pure Java.

Well, I spend two hours this afternoon to study what you call YACC
ickyness...  Currently, I'm in favor to write it from scratch than to
try to port that code to Java :-)

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust \/ Truth Until Paradox