"Stefan Matthias Aust" <sma / 3plus4.de> wrote:

>> To get it compatible with all "features" of the C one is
>> much more challenging IMHO.

To create a java interpreter for ruby, ruby would ideally be coded in itself
(MetaRuby).  We should identify functionality which would be particularly
painful or inefficient to code this way, so we can discuss alternatives:

1)  regex engine - we've been discussing java alternatives, including
jakarta project packages and built-in packages in java 1.4.  Whether coded
in meta or mapped to java packages or rewritten in java, compatability with
the c-version is an issue.  Is there a spec for ruby regexes outside
C-implementation itself?

2. ...

Could those of you more familiar with ruby add more to this list, especially
areas that you think would be most painful to express in java or metaruby.