> So don't worry about the speed of the regexp code.  I also doubt that
> this would be the most difficult part for a Ruby interpreter written
> in Java.  To get it compatible with all "features" of the C one is
> much more challenging IMHO.

Hi Stefan,

Would the goal be to make it compatible with the ruby C regex implementation
or with its specification?  It would probably be cleaner to map a built-in
java regex package
to a specification than to the C implementation, because you wouldn't have
to maintain the
java version in parallel with the C version.  The minus, of course, is that
current code might
exhibit different behavior on the two implementations as each fails to
correctly implement the
spec in its own ways.  Is there a spec for ruby regexes or is it supposed to
be a Perl5 clone, or
something else?

Wayne