On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 23:48:38 +0100, daz <dooby / d10.karoo.co.uk> wrote:
> It's so difficult to know what /finished/ software looks like :p
:-) I agree.. but it should be closer than this. Perhaps it is just too
many assumptions in the installer package, and once I figure out what
needs fixing up, all will be well.

Your explanation is detailed and helpful - here is what I found:-

C:\DOCUME~1\Graham>set rubyopt
RUBYOPT=rubygems rubygems

I'm not sure what it should say - should rubygems be duplicated?

> So, when you run your one-line hello script with:
>   ruby -rdebug hello.rb
>
> - do you get an error or does the debugger start/continue OK ?
C:\DOCUME~1\Graham>ruby -rdebug hello.rb
Debug.rb
Emacs support available.

g:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ubygems.rb:4:require 'rubygems'

Which is exactly like RDE

Perhaps my problem is a conceptual one. I don't WANT to step through / see
all the required libraries.. I want to debug _my_ program

> If an error, which directory(s) contain debug.rb and debug2.rb
> - debug2.rb is a slightly modified version for RDE.
>
> Did you use the RDE installer(.exe) or the .zip file ?
EXE

> Did you install any of the RDE 1.0.0 beta releases
> before the final ?
Yes - 0.94 (I think) - but I was sure I had un-installed it first. perhaps
the beta didn't uninstall correctly? (I've subsequently moved Ruby to a
different drive which would change old paths - might this be an issue?)

Thanks for helping
Graham