Aemca <none / none.com> wrote:
> You might want to look into things like gzip compression and maybe a
> site redesign with CSS.
> Both can bring your bandwith down a lot which could bring a better
> TCO to the site.

But keep in mind that gzip compression increases load on the server
especially with dynamic content!

> When going with the static site idea you can also get a low end
> server with mysql / rails / php / whatever to generate the pages.
> The main server would then only have to serve the static pages.

My first attempt at this would probably be this: create two web apps, one
for CM and one for the site (as static HTML).  The CM webapp updates static
HTML of the other.  Whether this will work, depends mostly on the # of
editors and the average change frequency.  If not every change has to be
make public immediately you can even think of a batched update of the static
part every 5 minutes or so.

Just my 0.02 EUR...

Kind regards

    robert