In message <scott-DAF19E.15414923092005 / news.west.cox.net>, Scott
Ellsworth <scott / alodar.com> writes
>You can write such software tools in Java for Java.

Yes I appreciate that. I knew it when I wrote it. I was wondering who
would spot the language specific mistake and how quickly. Bonus points
for scoring on the first day! However for our tools it is nonsensical to
rearchitect and reimplement a fully working Coverage/Profiler/Flow
Tracer etc from C++ to Java just to support Java when we can do it
better and faster (both in implementation time and execution time) from
C++ in the first place (also, I'd much rather use JVMPI, JVMDI, JVMTI
than any of that over the wire Java stuff). I've used Java on and off
since 1996 and I just don't like it. It feels far too clumsy and lacks
expression, although interfaces are useful. C++ and assembly I am happy
with. Ruby I have a good feeling about although the syntax errors are
obscure and often in the "wrong" place if you know what I mean. Main
gripe about Ruby is that I don't have enough of a reason to use it for
real work (it isn't suited for writing high performance software tools)
as opposed to me experimenting with it - so I probably don't think quite
in the Ruby way like those of you that get to use Ruby more than I. I
digress.

>I, for one, would like to see such hooks added, as I believe a lack of
>memory profiling tools (built in at the lowest levels) is one of the
>bigger things in the way of Ruby scaling.

Well, I'll get around to the low level C side of things for the memory
API in the near future. I know what to write and how to write it. It
just a case of getting the time and having the energy to do it. It
should be easy for someone to wrap a Ruby layer for sockets around what
I write so that you can have the interface you describe.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited    http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/software.html