Graham Foster wrote:

> >> Check that the same errors occur, when you run the target script with
> >> debugger on console.
> >
> > In other words, this has nothing to do with RDE.
>
> OK.. I get exactly the same error.. and I didn't understand the replies
> here. Can anyone be a little clearer please?
>
> Again - I think RDE looks promising too, but once again, the ONLY IDE for
> Ruby which actually works out of the box for me (on Windows XP) is
> ArachnoRuby, and they all appear equally unfinished. :-(
> Graham

Hi Graham,

It's so difficult to know what /finished/ software looks like :p

Using the same script which gave the error, try running it
from a command window (I still call it a DOS box).  That'll
probably work because your script has doesn't call 'require' (?).

When you use the debugger, ... :
http://phrogz.net/ProgrammingRuby/trouble.html#rubydebugger

.... with 'ruby -rdebug hello.rb', it's 'require'-ing
the debug library.  However, you have rubygems installed
so it has taken responsibility for the 'require' and it
calls in its own library 'rubygems.rb' first.  However (again),
before all that, when ruby starts up, another library
called 'ubygems.rb' is 'require'-d to redefine the 'require'
method.
(I'm subconsciously trying to make that sound complicated;
 here's how your simple script effectively appears ...)

## (prologue)
require 'ubygems.rb'  # RUBYOPT=rubygems  [environment variable]
require 'rubygems.rb' # because 'require' is now a gems method
require 'debug.rb'    # this line triggers the one above
## hello.rb
puts 'Hello World'

So, when you run your one-line hello script with:
  ruby -rdebug hello.rb

- do you get an error or does the debugger start/continue OK ?

If an error, which directory(s) contain debug.rb and debug2.rb
- debug2.rb is a slightly modified version for RDE.

Did you use the RDE installer(.exe) or the .zip file ?

Did you install any of the RDE 1.0.0 beta releases
before the final ?

RDE just calls ruby.exe, ruby & gems set up the $LOAD_PATH
I doubt whether RDE is to blame.

<Ready to eat own words/>

daz