In message <20050923164415.41137.qmail / web36114.mail.mud.yahoo.com>,
Eric Mahurin <eric_mahurin / yahoo.com> writes
>I don't care about graphs and such.  Just a method (or several)
>in GC/ObjectSpace to get some memory info.  If the above did
>what I'm thinking about (walk through each
>object/stack/symbol-table/etc and add up the memory used), it
>would be portable,

If you examine the source for Ruby you'll find that the above is
non-trivial and is implemented in C, in the form of the garbage
collector. I have offered to write a C API to collect such stats (and
will provide a simple Ruby API to provide other data to Ruby in the form
of a snapshot) but have not yet had the time to do it. Is this portable?
Yes if you regard compiling C on each platform to get the code working.

Someone else (sorry can't remember who) did write a Ruby snippet to walk
the object space. The main problem with this approach and any approach
that tries to trace ruby memory usage using say a set_trace_func() type
approach is the act of sending data to the ruby callback or walking the
object space in ruby allocates more objects, thus distorting the
picture, sometimes quite badly.

>but you said it is windows only.

It is written in C++ and assembly. It is impossible to do low level
hooking of the type required to write this software in anything other
than similar languages. You could not write these software tools in
Ruby, Python, Java, Lua, etc.

I think I covered that when I wrote:

 >No website description at the present time but you can apply for the
beta >at

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett