sakazuki wrote:

> Hello, Mr. Simon.
>
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > I released RDE 1.0.0.    [...]

Real thanks sakazuki-san - I can see you've put a lot of work in !
I'm glad you haven't abandonded this excellent project.

Now one-click install  !!!

RDE's so convenient for testing scripts posted here ... I
don't have to think of a name or where to save it on disk -
just paste it in and hit F5 ... quicker than IRB !!
I haven't found another editor which allows this and it
seems such an easy feature to provide.
The YAGNI competitors will follow, eventually.

I found beta3 accidentally just yesterday and I've been playing
for the whole day ... must sleep soon ;-)

To Simon,

> > Ok, here are the first thoughts of a first time user:
> > (ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i386-mswin32])
> >
> > * the syntax highlighting is ugly (ok, that's very personal and of
> >   cause it can be changed, nice!)
>
> Hm.
>

> > * it looks overloaded, which can also be changed, nice!
>
> I also think so.

Hm.reverse ...
I think it's too plain  :-)))  (?underloaded?)
http://www.d10.karoo.net/ruby/rde_pics.html

> > * if there is a unsaved file and I want to exit, the dialog box has
> >   the following options: ??(Y), ???(N), ?????
>
> Please set English_1000.xml or else in [Options] - [Config File] -
> [TranslationFile].

I understand he's saying reload the internal translation file by
entering a non-existent filename.
beta3 came with the old tanslation .XML files - they're not in
1.0.0 and they've gone from the home page.

Almost all the visible text in menus and such can be changed via
an external translation file.  The one I did for 0.9.9.1 still
works for me but I'll get round to updating for this release soon.

I know what quite a few of the cursor settings in the Editor
Properties do and I could probably describe them but it's hard
to give a brief hint next to the checkbox without it turning
into something like an End-User License Agreement.

> > * the toolbars behave strange, sometimes I can drag them sometimes not,
> >   if they overlap sometimes there is a '>>' indicator sometimes not.
>
> I will research this behavior.

A toolbar lock/unlock would be useful (with default locked) so that
newbies don't become vexed when a toolbar is snapped off (undocks).
That might prevent the initialization code provided by the widget
from doing this kind of realignment.

> > * the debuger fails on
> >
> > ...ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ubygems.rb:4:require 'rubygems'
> >
> >   I haven't looked any further yet, rubygems should be there (gem
> >   install works)
> >

> Check that the same errors occur, when you run the target script with
> debugger on console.

In other words, this has nothing to do with RDE.
The pervasive rubygems is under anaesthesia on my machine.
I run six verions of ruby and only one has rubygems installed
via the one-click ruby.
RUBYOPT could almost be called an Environment Variable but
"set RUBYOPT=rubygems" turns an Application Variable into
something much more narrow.  All the other rubys need dummy
"ubygems.rb" files with just a sarcastic comment in them.

BTW, another great feature of RDE is that I can switch
between versions with a couple of clicks -- I think RDE
remembers the last five in its drop-down menu.

[sakazuki: RDE remembers ?infinite? Find/Replace strings
 - they don't get cleared.  I have a script that edits the
 registry entry, occasionally ;) ]

> > * Some menu items have strange names (like the EndOfDefun above)
>
> Please suggest the naming them in English.
> You can also rewrite them in TranslationFile.

As I said above, I'll probably attend to the English one.

> > * The RDE-Help (Ctrl-F1) does nothing.
>
> This menu try to open http://rubyde.sourceforge.net/hiki/en/.
> On my PC, this works well.
> If this don't work well, All menus in [Help] except 'Ruby Help' will
> not work well.

Doesn't work for me but I still like the 0.9.9.1 .chm file.
I'll investigate the wiki and I only found the forum on
sourceforge today.

> FindMark setting in registry make the problems.
> Please check off FindMark setting by beta3.

Beta version users should be aware that it's usually
advisable to *uninstall* beta releases before installing
the final -- because of debug flags etc.
Unless I'm wrong, the RDE registry entry consists of
delphi encoded objects rather than separate entries,
- so Good Luck if you try to find that setting.
(Uninstall ;)

> > Ok, dispite this list I think it looks very promissing, just a few
> > edges left. We realy need a good ruby editor so your effort is very
> > appreciated.

"This list" was a little repetitive and, reading it quickly,
suggested a negative tone even though you seem to have reached
a favourable conclusion.

> > cheers
> >
> > Simon
>
> --
> sakazuki <qzs01353 / nifty.com>

Yes, very many thanks.
I need 3 things ... 1) Ruby   2) PickAxe   3)  RDE

daz