--- Stephen Kellett <snail / objmedia.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message
> <20050923134642.64156.qmail / web36106.mail.mud.yahoo.com>,
> Eric Mahurin <eric_mahurin / yahoo.com> writes
> >I'd imagine to get a non-portable solution, you'd need
> >something in GC/ObjectSpace to figure out how much its
> objects
> >are taking up.
>
> That is what Ruby Memory Validator does. Plus provide lots of
> view and
> metrics to examine the reference graphs and so on.

I don't care about graphs and such.  Just a method (or several)
in GC/ObjectSpace to get some memory info.  If the above did
what I'm thinking about (walk through each
object/stack/symbol-table/etc and add up the memory used), it
would be portable, but you said it is windows only.  Also, I
couldn't find any download link.

What would be ideal would be if the C call get_rusage worked on
linux (it returns 0 for various memory fields) and the
equivalent was available on various platforms.  Of course you
could also make a method that did whatever was appropriate for
each platform too.

http://mail.yahoo.com