> I'm an American and I'm seriously looking for the chance to work and live
> elsewhere, preferably somewhere that I can get by only speaking English
> (and Ruby).  Suggestions?

Come to Oslo!

If I had to live in the US, I'd definitely choose Portland.  (I lived
all over the US, and Portland was easily my favorite.)  But, having
just left Portland for Oslo, I'm so glad I made the leap!

I'm working at Opera (which is now free!!  woo-hoo!!)...  great place.
 Just downstairs is TrollTech, and it also seems to be a great place.
Both are very international companies.  We have people from... was it
30 different countries now?

Nearly everyone in Norway speaks English, so that has been no problem.
 Despite what I read in a number of guidebooks, Norwegians are
super-friendly, really warm and wonderful people.

And the UN just said that Norway was the best country in the world to
live in (I think for the 5th year in a row).

The only drawbacks:  it's one of the most expensive places to live in
the world (which may not actaully be a drawback, as salaries reflect
the cost of living), and I'm not using Ruby.  :(

Chris