On 9/23/05, Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. There is, at least on NTFS, a unique file identifier that is
> somehow available. Don't ask me how right now, but I should be able to
> find out in a few days (work-related stuff).

The file's unique ID is assigned by the system and is stored in the
nFileIndexHigh and nFileIndexLow fields of BY_HANDLE_FILE_INFORMATION
(API call
is GetFileInformationByHandle())
(source: MSDN)

> 2. Files cannot be hardlinked on any Windows filesystem. Directories
> can be hardlinked on NTFS5 systems.

Erm.. they can - use CreateHardLink() - but there is no shell support for them
(so that users won't delete real files by accident I guess).

Directories ~cannot~ be hard-linked (but apparently you can create
'junction points' - a
kind of soft link - though I've never used them myself).

Regards,
Sean