On Thursday 24 May 2001 22:41, bashar asad wrote:

> > its really frustrating when you try to look for a job noadays.... you know
> so many good programming languages but you want the right job that will
> help you excel in a language like ruby ... but everybody want java java
> java sorry guys really frustrated with todays market
> ;p
>
> --
> Bashar A. Asad

Java is the currently in vogue "magic bullet' for corporate management types,
hence the heavy emphasis in the job market. Much of this is due to aggressive
promotion on the part of Sun Microsystems, for which, of course, one cannot
blame them.

The truth is that Java, in its place, is viable solution within certain
well-defied problem domains; unfortunately, it is expected by many of those
"in charge" to be a "do everything", "be everything" IT solution or *every*
problem domain, which it is not.

Contemporaty corporate midde management is largely made up of those who are
either clueless or, if aware, effectively disenfranchised by the clueless
ones above. This applies to marketing as well as adoption of technical
solutions.

Eventually, this will all sort itself out and languages like Ruby will be
called into play to repair the grossly damaged e-commerce infrastructure
being created today, largely in Java.

Provided, of course, Ruby does not itself become another overbloated
Java-like language with this and that "fix" applied to the core rather than
intelligently derived from within the language itself. But, that's another
issue and, fortunately, one I believe Matz has a very good handle on.

Hang in there...your day will come! :-)

Regards,

Kent Starr
elderburn / mindspring.com