On Fri, 25 May 2001, Erik [ISO-8859-1] B?gfors wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Erik,
just as a side not, has this discussion been brought up on the
gnome-hackers or orbit-list mailing lists?  #gnome on irc.gimp.org might
be good places to talk about it as well.  (My take on things is below.)

[deleted introductory material]

> 1) Wrapping libbonobo, this is what I started doing.  This requires us
> to have a working ORBit-ruby interface.  I know there has been people
> working on this for ruby but gave it up to create a new
> corba-implementation (Rinn).  This means alot of work trying to get
> ORBit-ruby working and then it's pretty easy getting libbonobo-ruby
> going after that.  The good thing about this is that it will be easy to
> keep in sync with bonobo and libbonobo when it evolves.

I think that this is the better solution.  It helps keep 'GNOME in ruby'
moving.  It also doesn't confuse people who pick up libbonobo-ruby
expecting it to work like libbonobo.

> 2) Using Rinn and creating a new bonobo-implementation.  This would be
> really cool but I think it would also mean lots of work.  First of all I
> don't know if Rinn is up to the task (just downloaded it.  Haven't tried
> it yet). Second we need to create a new implementation of bonobo.  It
> would be very cool to have a bonobo implementation in ruby based on a
> corba implementation in ruby :).  I think this would also be good for
> the libbonobo-guys to see that there stuff really in interoperable with
> other people stuff.

This sounds like good research, but probably should/could be done a) after
getting libbonobo-ruby to work with orbit, and b) be called something else
(or used as an option in libbonobo-ruby).

-pate