On 22/09/05, Brian Palmer <ruby / brian.pocketmartiansoftware.com> wrote:
> I've been discussing with Greg ways to make FuseFS cross-platform
> (I've been posting as greasygreasy on Redhanded, BTW).
>
> I think I have a pretty good solution I've worked up using a modified
> version of Tatsuki Sugiura's WebDAV Servlet for WEBRick (http://
> redhanded.hobix.com/inspect/
> webrickWebdavHandlerSafelyExtractedFromTheWild.html).  Reading works
> perfectly, writing is good on Windows but I need to implement locking
> in Sugiura's code before OS X (and maybe linux?) will allow writing.
>
> On OS X WebDAV support is always available and acts just like a
> normal mounted filesystem.  I believe that on Linux one can use
> WebDAV using davfs (http://dav.sourceforge.net/), which seems to come
> with quite a few distros.  Windows has built-in support for WebDAV as
> well, but I've just discovered that it only seems to allow dragging
> files in and out of folders, not editing-in-place or from the command
> line.  Do those with more Windows experience know, is there any way
> to have a more natural WebDAV mount on Windows like on the other
> OS's?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree with this solution?

DAV is a good idea, but 'open as web folder' is an awful webdav
implementation. It's given me grey hair over the past year.

Essentially, it doesn't mount a DAV share as a drive at all, explorer
just pretends it does. This is why you get in-place editing issues,
and the command line is out.

This is also why things like Word have to ask you for your
username/password when you try to save .docs to a webdav 'share'. A
decent webdav client for windows is long overdue, don't know of any
free ones unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong - It's usable, and can be made fairly sane with a
few apache patches, but not an ideal solution if you want to support
the windows crowd.

To be fair, Panther was actually pretty rubbish if you were using it
for anything important, but Tiger is a really solid implementation
(support https too).