Hi all,

I send this mail to the list because I think alot of people are
interested.  Perhaps we can take the discussion outside of the list
later.

As some of you know I started wrapping the bonobo-component-system in
ruby.  This works out pretty good but things are really in need of a
working corba orb.

First of all, let me explain something about bonobo.  Bonobo is a
component system that comes from the gnome-world.  There are two things
that could be called bonobo today, one is the _specifications_ of the
component system and one is the c-based _implementation_ of the system.
Unfortunately, both are named bonobo.

I will call the c-implementation libbonobo here to keep them apart.

There are two ways of getting a working bonobo.

1) Wrapping libbonobo, this is what I started doing.  This requires us
to have a working ORBit-ruby interface.  I know there has been people
working on this for ruby but gave it up to create a new
corba-implementation (Rinn).  This means alot of work trying to get
ORBit-ruby working and then it's pretty easy getting libbonobo-ruby
going after that.  The good thing about this is that it will be easy to
keep in sync with bonobo and libbonobo when it evolves.

2) Using Rinn and creating a new bonobo-implementation.  This would be
really cool but I think it would also mean lots of work.  First of all I
don't know if Rinn is up to the task (just downloaded it.  Haven't tried
it yet). Second we need to create a new implementation of bonobo.  It
would be very cool to have a bonobo implementation in ruby based on a
corba implementation in ruby :).  I think this would also be good for
the libbonobo-guys to see that there stuff really in interoperable with
other people stuff.

Soo, what do you guys think?

/Erik

--
Erik B?gfors               | http://erik.bagfors.nu/
erik / bagfors.nu            | Erik.Bagfors / engohol.se