On 21 Sep 2005 14:19:37 -0700, Charles Roper <charles.roper / gmail.com> wrote:

> Many thanks for the reply. Can you offer any examples of what might not
> work?

Not off the top of my head, sorry.

What I do remember is that I ran into problems with some
faulty ODBC drivers for Paradox, silently messing up simple joins.
Accessing the same tables via BDE from Delphi (i.e. "natively" worked,
but reading the data failed miserably from each of Ruby, Dolphin Smalltalk
and VB6, too.

On a side note, I've implemented a small access layer to MySQL for
a windows-based Forth environment. Since the C-level API is based on
strings, this was very easy for me as interface implementor.
ODBC offers a much richer set of datatypes, which makes life for the
end user more convenient (you get numbers from number columns).

s.