Damphyr wrote:

> Well it's an MDA Tool - it does modelling in UML and generates the code
> from the model. RoseRT is the realtime version of the tool, using some
> Rational defined extensions to UML (state diagrams, capsules and ports)
> that are (going to be) part of UML 2.0.
> UML2.0 is one of those standards that goes through such a long and slow
> moving standartization process that we'll probably won't see the
> finished standard in our lifetimes.
> I haven't used Rose in a very long time (since version 98), but I use
> RoseRT for the last four years. RoseRT actually has very little common
> with Rose. Up until the previous version the file formats were not
> interchangeable (RoseRT could not read Rose petal files and vice versa -
> RoseRT used to be ObjectTime before Rational bought it).
> Moving from RoseRT to Rose does not make much sense, since the UML
> extensions are heavily used (state diagrams are priceles in the realtime
> field) and you lose almost all of your code.
> Personally I would not recommend an 'academic' look on the tool, since
> the license costs a bundle and the learning curve is steep.
> Productive use of the tool is a very difficult subject - I've personally
> reached a very productive level after four years of tears, screams,
> frustration and rage.
> I like being able to code in the UML model, but the Suite has serious
> usability issues and the code editor is just getting worse with each
> version.
> I still have the original 'crash scoreboard' picture we sent to Rational
> support at the end of each iteration, although I must say that lately
> crashes are not a daily issue (I can still make it crash anytime, only
> now I know exactly how to make it crash and just avoid it :) ).
> Any more questions?
> V.-

Nope. Thanks for the info. Over last weekend I downloaded the 300 MB
trial version of RoseRT and gave it a looksee. It does indeed appear to
be very involved and I will take you advice regarding an academic look.
With everything else I have going on I wouldn't have the time to
dedicate to getting into this area :-)