In article <c4dc0a280509200921361bf596 / mail.gmail.com>,
 Brock Weaver <brockweaver / gmail.com> wrote:

> Remember when Java was the new guy in town (ca. 1995)? "It's too slow, too
> unstable, too ..." etc. That is the stage Ruby is at now.
> Java has turned out to be a very successful language.
[...]
> JVM's have come a long way in the past few years both speed wise and=20
> stability wise.

Java had some tooling that Ruby could use.  For example, even the
earliest Java releases has a debugging interface that could tell you
when GC occurred, which objects were still live, and when methods were
entrered and exited.   These keen profiling tools make it much easier to
get a fast JVM starting from a slow one.

I have heard a few people talking about memory profilers for Ruby - I
really hope these tools get written early, since they are very important
for getting scalable applications.

Scott

--
Scott Ellsworth