On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 01:21:26AM +0900, Brock Weaver wrote:
> Remember when Java was the new guy in town (ca. 1995)? "It's too slow, too
> unstable, too ..." etc. That is the stage Ruby is at now.

*snip*

> Ruby is nearing this tipping point now. The language is certainly powerful
> enough -- I believe it mixes all the "good" portions of today's mainstream
> languages with very little of the "bad". But performance is still a concern,
> stability is still a concern, etc.

*snip*

> Ruby will get to the point of stability which Java enjoys now. It may be
> awhile until some of the kinks are worked out, but with the multitude of
> developers beginning to at least try it out, there is nowhere to go but up.

I don't see a stability issue right now and haven't for several years.  I have
a system that's been running using Ruby 1.6 24/7 for a year and a half doing
over 11 million transactions a day.  It does data collection from over 2000
machines every 5 mins, massages the data then inserts it into a postgres
database.  That's pretty stable.

I have another system running using Ruby 1.8 that's several months old that
seems just as stable.

I can agree that speed needs to be worked on.  Stability is already here.

If you're having stability problems, I like to know what they are.

Rick

--
Rick Nooner
rick / nooner.net