Austin Ziegler wrote:

>On 9/20/05, Steven Lumos <steven / lumos.us> wrote:
>[...]
>

>>OCR isn't *that* easy. Humans--even young children--far exceed
>>machines in discerning even relatively clean machine-print characters.
>>

>Yes, I understand that. However, CAPTCHA is also proving to be
>relatively ineffective and against accessibility standards. If you have
>to follow US Federal 508 guidelines, you shouldn't use CAPTCHA. As noted
>on the various discussions that I linked to, the large sites that
>spawned CAPTCHA have now abandoned it.

That's interesting to me. I don't follow either subject much, but I'm
very interested in website accessibility. Is the ticketmaster way of
providing either a visual or an aural CAPTCHA not sufficient?

>Interesting, but I believe it will be ultimately fruitless. If I am
>visually impaired but do not, for example, have audio attached to my
>computer, then an audio CAPTCHA is just as limiting as a visual CAPTCHA.

Would a large-print CAPTCHA suffice in this case? People who are too
visually impaired to read large print would have to have audio, I'd assume.

>CAPTCHA don't work nearly as well as people think and they're
>inaccessible. There is a reason that Ruwiki will never support them.

I do agree that they are a big pain in the butt to deal with, as a user.
Your multiple-level thing seems like the right approach. Yahoo Groups
offers the option for admins to moderate new users only -- after which
the admin can manually give you full posting rights.

Devin