On 9/20/05, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <noreply / gunnar.cc> wrote:
> Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> > Would you judge Larry's creation based on Purl Gurl's
> > ever eloquent dissertations?
>
> No, because many serious Perl programmers let the readers know what they
> thought about her postings. But if everyone had silently watched
> PurlGurl's ravages in clpmisc, I suppose many Perl users would have
> hesitated. I would.
>
> This troll, the "William James" character, is posting Ruby solutions
> also in comp.lang.ruby where they are on topic, and I presume he is
> appreciated and respected for that there. What makes me pissed is that
> the Ruby community is indirectly, by its silence, approving of his
> advocating Ruby through spamming comp.lang.perl.misc with off topic posts.
>
> IMO, languages such as Perl and Ruby should be judged not only by the
> technical usefulness of respective language, but also by the integrity
> of their users.
>
> --
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Personally, I prefer a totalitarian world-state where the
nationalities of said trolls imprison them for crimes against
humanity.

So I disagree- I think you should be contacting the nation of
citizenship of William James rather the clr.

Of course, I need to think about more about this in case you are
right. Since I'm quiet in about 99.999% of all newsgroups, I'm
silently complicent in many millions of crimes (including some J2EE
related ones, for which I hear the penalities are particularly harsh).
I'd better go talk to my lawyer. Maybe if I stop using the Internet, I
can claim innocence for all future crimes and misdemenaours.

Cheers,
Nick