On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> No, because many serious Perl programmers let the readers know what they
> thought about her postings. But if everyone had silently watched PurlGurl's
> ravages in clpmisc, I suppose many Perl users would have hesitated. I would.
>
> This troll, the "William James" character, is posting Ruby solutions also in
> comp.lang.ruby where they are on topic, and I presume he is appreciated and
> respected for that there. What makes me pissed is that the Ruby community is
> indirectly, by its silence, approving of his advocating Ruby through
> spamming comp.lang.perl.misc with off topic posts.
>
> IMO, languages such as Perl and Ruby should be judged not only by the
> technical usefulness of respective language, but also by the integrity of
> their users.

indeed, but i think many here, including myself, simply value kindess and
politeness over integrity and seriousness and are unwillingly to risk the
former in order to enforce the latter.  and even that assumes people are
reading both groups which, i think, is the exception rather than the rule.

regards.

-a