On 9/20/05, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <noreply / gunnar.cc> wrote:
> Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> > Would you judge Larry's creation based on Purl Gurl's
> > ever eloquent dissertations?
>
> No, because many serious Perl programmers let the readers know what they
> thought about her postings. But if everyone had silently watched
> PurlGurl's ravages in clpmisc, I suppose many Perl users would have
> hesitated. I would.
>
> This troll, the "William James" character, is posting Ruby solutions
> also in comp.lang.ruby where they are on topic, and I presume he is
> appreciated and respected for that there. What makes me pissed is that
> the Ruby community is indirectly, by its silence, approving of his
> advocating Ruby through spamming comp.lang.perl.misc with off topic posts.
>
> IMO, languages such as Perl and Ruby should be judged not only by the
> technical usefulness of respective language, but also by the integrity
> of their users.

Integrity is important. But I think you're expectations here are out of line.

I know what is hapenning on ruby-talk (comp.lang.ruby), but I have
neither the time, interest or inclination to follow
comp.lang.perl.misc. I also don't follow python, so if there is a
pro-ruby troll hanging out there I wouldn't know about that either.

Curt