------art_7710_25519142.1127200572659

I'm looking at the options available in ruby to replace an ajax driven
client/server application in perl. The application is an interface to the
asterisk manager api. You can see
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+Manager+API for more
information on the api.

The perl application runs a small webserver and monitors asterisk for
events, sticking new events into a queue for clients to retrieve. The client
uses ajax to poll the server every few seconds, get any waiting event
messages, and possibly send commands to be passed on to asterisk. Right now
the perl app is written in POE, a perl event driven framework.

The httpd component needs to be able to service multiple simultaneous
requests (although not a lot). The asterisk component will only need to open
a single long lasting connection to a single asterisk server. Both
components will need some type of message queue to pass messages back and
forth.

My first thought is to just use rails for the web component, a custom tcp
client/server for the asterisk component, and drb for the communication
between the two. For the message queue I could probably just use arrays to
build simple FIFO lists for incoming and outgoing messages.

Any thoughts?

------art_7710_25519142.1127200572659--