On 24 May 2001 17:41:25 +0900, Todd Smith wrote:
> "Heather Van Aelst" <hlva / yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:990672278.1576.1.camel / localhost...
> > Someone asked a while back about web sites written in Ruby.  I was
> > waiting to crunch a few of the worst bugs (don't worry there are plenty
> > more :) ), but I think http://worldgeeks.org is ready for the Ruby
> > community to bang away on it.

> Is a site built in ruby generally faster or slower than one built in Perl or
> PHP or ASP or something else?

For now at least, the answer seems to be slower.  All I can really speak
for is my experience with worldgeeks.org, which is pretty slow, but I
the code's not even remotely optimized (too busy just making it _work_).
So I can't say how much is ruby, how much is my code, how much is the
postgres connection and lack of connection pooling (though I hear the
DBI group is working on that).  But on the other hand, not many people
have tried to do this kind of site (has anyone else put up a db-backed
site written entirely in ruby, that's not about ruby?) so it remains to
be seen just how fast we can get.

-Heather