Gavin Kistner wrote:

> 1) There's no standalone interpreter (that I know of, and
> certainly not part of any 'official' distribution), which
> leaves you at the mercy of WSH or some sort of web-based
> interpreter[1].

Microsoft publish the WSH COM interface and by using this
interface it is fairly easy to embbed Java Script into any
application.

This is the same interface used by the Zeus editor to drive
it's Java Script and VB Script macros scripting options.

I would assume it should be quite easy to embbed the Java
Script WSH into a simple Win32 console application, giving
you a basic stand alone enterpreter.

> Lua is powerful because it's bare-bones speedy and simple,
> but it's not enjoyable to work with as a scripter.

Funnily enough Zeus also offers a Lua as one of its macro
scripting languages :)

Jussi Jumppanen
Author of: Zeus for Windows Editor (New version 3.95 out now)
"The C/C++, Cobol, Java, HTML, Python, PHP, Perl folding editor"
Home Page: http://www.zeusedit.com