So far nobody has mentioned Unicon.
http://unicon.sourceforge.net/
and see also
http://www.drones.com/unicon/

My experience was dabbling in Icon, which is basically no longer
being developed (TTBOMK).

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Greg Lorriman wrote:

> Now I am looking to find another language to learn with three features, two
         [...]
> 1)enjoyableness

Yes, it is elegant .
> 2)practicalness

Lots of example usages, because nearly all the icon ones should work.
> 3)alternativeness

It is goal directed, with backtracking.  Statements succeed, or they
fail silently, and this is used in the goal-meeting.

> with a decent nod to
>
> 4)not so long a learning curve (hey, I'm from the TV generation; I need
> instant kicks).

Depends what you are used to.  I never really got fluent in it, and
haven't had time to do so, but would like to because I can see it is
powerful.

> I really would like something that makes me think in a very different
> manner, and is excellent at solving a range of problems that imperative

Yes, goal directed stuff is pretty different.  Allows expressing
solutions in a different way from normal.

> languages are not too good at. I would like to be using it a lot for
> real-world stuff, like I am Ruby and Delphi.

Lots of sample scripts came with Icon, and I think do with Unicon,
but its a while since I looked.

         HTH
         Hugh