"James Britt" <james_b / neurogami.com> wrote in message
news:432E4A46.90508 / neurogami.com...
> Greg Lorriman wrote:
>>>The intersection of practical and interesting may be quite small.
>>

>> ....and therefore more difficult to find. And so one asks questions....
>
> Have you tried the pragprog list?  I believe many list members gather
> 'round for Language of the Year study sessions.  And there have been many
> discussions exactly like this one.

That's a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

>> Is this recommendation from experience? I am really looking for informed
>> opinions, particularly as enjoyment of a language tends not to be
>> vicarious.
>
> It is based on comments I've read from others in my own perusal for a Next
> Language.
>
> Still, even if I *had* learned Haskell, you'd be getting an opinion from
> someone you've never met and know next to nothing about, and whose ideas
> of enjoyment may be peculiar.

I wouldn't bother with usenet, or the internet for that matter, if these
were considerations which bothered me. he he.

> If you get 10 people saying, "I've not used it but I've heard good
> things", that may be more valuable than one person swearing by it from
> personal use.

I personally consider that an opinion from experience is worth 100 without,
not having met the person not-withstanding. Ok, make that 1000 just to
really bash your 10 to 1!!! :)

> After all, I say nice things about Visual Basic.

I don't know how to respond to that.

>> That does seem like a rather self-referential reason. I would probably
>> not
>> choose Lisp on this particular recommendation.
>
> Still, A recursive recommendation for Lisp does seem appropriate.

I had a feeling that might be the case.

>>>And there are lots of good, free resources for it.
>>

>> Also for many other languages.
>
> The best idea may be to avail yourself of some of those resources and just
> try stuff out.   Pick stuff at random.

True, I could, and maybe sometime I will, but before I waste alot of time
doing that I would rather gather as many informed opinions, preferably
personal, as possible. I very much enjoy informed personal opinions, and
feel that they are valuable, especially when contrasted against each other.
For similar reasons I need plenty of charactererisation when I read a novel.

thanks,

Greg