James Britt wrote:
> Lisp, Haskell, and Ocaml are floating in the back of my own mind as
> candidates for next language to learn.  Lisp has the upper hand so far,
> because, well, it's *Lisp*.   And there are lots of good, free resources
> for it.

I'm starting on Haskell, as time permits. Haskell has syntax (Lisp doesn't)
and classes and type declarations. Functional programming is a different
paradigm, powerful, more directly mathematical. And you can bring some of it
back to Ruby.

Of course, there's also COBOL, which may be the most popular language in the
world by lines of code in production, but I think many would agree with my
claim that it is more painful than it is practical, and it is certainly
practical - there are COBOL jobs.

I just posted a paragraph on COBOL to comp.lang.ruby :)

Cheers,
Dave