"Devin Mullins" <twifkak / comcast.net> wrote in message
news:432DEC60.7060601 / comcast.net...
> There's plenty of places you can find recommendations for languages.

hmmm. I didn't ask for other places for recommendations for other languages.
I have already visited many places; I am surprised you did not infer this
from my post.

I posted in the hope of personal opinions of Ruby programmers specifically,
since they bring a more pertinant spirit to my quest (particularly
enjoyableness).

> - this mailing list (the archives will have references to all the ones you
> meantion, plus other ones such as Io, and D, and boo, and Groovy - of
> which Io is the only one you might call "far out" - and, oh yeah,
> Smalltalk)

Seems like you did and didn't read my post at the same time. Very strange.

> Here's two languages you're not likely to find immediately. Presented for
> no apparent reason.

....I prefer reasons.

> 1. http://www.erights.org/e/satan/ -- I haven't actually read this paper,
> but it seems topical, so maybe somebody else will, and provide us a book
> report. :)
> 2. http://www.madore.org/~david/programs/unlambda/ -- The purest, simplest
> programming language ever, and it's functional, to boot. Smart combination
> of a few simple constructs allows for a whole world of flexibility.

sounds kinda interesting. But is it enjoyable? Is it practical? I was
careful to list what I am looking for quite prominently.

> Have fun.

I am trying.

> Devin
> APL, Eiffel, Erlang, Haskell, Io, Joy, Lisp, Lua, Mathematica, Mozart/Oz,
> OCaml, Prolog, REXX, Scala, Scheme, Self, and Smalltalk are all the
> legitimate, 'alternative' languages that I recognize (by name only, for
> the most part) from that wiki page, so maybe that makes them more popular.
> Now get to Googlin'.

 ? I can't believe my eyes.

Can someone tell me if I am talking to a troll?