At Thu, 24 May 2001 11:38:43 +0900 Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2001, Mario Lang wrote:

>> What I am thinking about is a Interactive Ruby IDE.

>> But the interface indepence bothers me a bit. I cant find out
>> how to structure a program from the grounds up well, so
>> that different interfaces can be written for it later on without
>> modification of the core.

> Let me define both parts, Model and View.

[ MVC pattern skipped ]

>> Perhaps some project like this is already on the way (the ruby IDE)

> I don't remember who planned to do one besides me but I haven't heard of
> a serious initiative.

>> If this apllies, I would be happy to join forces. And I would hope to
>> convince the author of the importance of interface independence.

> You won't need to convince me.

Yesterday I download free Smalltalk VM called Squeak and was really
impressed by it's power.
If Ruby can provide something like this, it 'd make me happy.

Instead of
Edit/Compile/Link/Run/Got SISSEGV/Find a bug/ cycle of compiled languages

and
Edit/Run/Got backtrace/Find a bug/run again/ for Ruby

this IDE would give a continous running with run-time
editing and debugging. This non-stop would save a lot of development time.

I would be happy to join a project like this.

--
Computers are good at following instructions, but not at reading your mind.
		-- D. Knuth