On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Matthias Georgi wrote:

> Great Work, really useful.

thanks matthias!

> ACGI is great for webservers without fcgi support.  I've managed acgi to
> work with fnord, a super small(13k static binary) and fast webserver and
> indeed, benchmarking gave me impressing results.  Standard cgi is around 20
> req/s as expected and acgi around 120-150 req/s .

wow.  on apache i see only around 4-5 times speedup.  thanks alot for testing.

> What do you think about running multiple ruby servers, each with its own
> ipc.  The index.cgi tries each server to acquire a lock and chooses the
> first free one.  Should improve performance for non-trivial cgis.

exactly my plan.  essentially the simplest round robin/random load balancer.
dan fitzpatrick has suggesting running multiple instances behind blance.  at
this point i'm working to make things faster.  i've been tweaking lots of
stuff with no real luck yet but my understanding of fcgi suggest i should be
able to be closer to it's speed than i am.  also on the radar is re-writing
index.c using the apr (apache portable runtime) so it'd compile on any
platform and, along with this, a binary windows dist.  the next step would be
writing some code generation/configuration script so i could do away with the
makefile.  in any case it's in the works and suggestions are more than
welcome.

an io/ipc/c gurus out there please chime in with a two lines fix to make it
faster please ;-)

cheers.

-a